A bathroom remodel is a great way to add new design and aesthetically pleasing elements to your home. There are many cost-effective options out there as far as appliances and cheaper bathroom remodel ideas for those of you on a budget. Changes can be conducted however far you want to go depending on the extent of changes you want to be done. So, is a bathroom remodel worth it? There are many factors to consider from planning, budgeting, quality materials, the longevity of changes and more. No matter what route you choose to go, a bathroom remodel can greatly add to the resale value of your home. If you are considering a bathroom remodel, take a look at these points before you begin!
How much will it cost to remodel my bathroom?
Bathroom remodels can have a range of costs depending on how extensive of a remodel you’re going for as well as which appliances you choose. A bathroom remodel can range anywhere from $1,500-$15,000 or more. The national average for a small bathroom is $6,500.
How much does it cost in labor to remodel a bathroom?
Labor can vary depending on your location. Expenses on labor for a licensed and bonded professional can range in price anywhere from $50-$110 per hour. You can expect to pay up to $250 per square foot for high-end fixtures installed by a licensed professional.
How much does a bathroom remodel add to home value?
A bathroom remodel is a great way to increase your tax basis if you are planning on reselling your home as updated homes usually sell much faster than others. Choose inexpensive but new fixtures as high-end options don’t always add any extra value to a resale. On average you can expect to recoup 66% of the cost of a bathroom remodel.
What is the cheapest way to remodel a bathroom?
There are many bathroom remodel ideas out there that don’t require extreme changes. Here are a few ideas to consider if you want an impact and change but without breaking the bank.
- Lighting: direct and ambient lighting can create a sense of space and mood, consider a skylight or window for natural lighting. Consider sconces and pendant lights or even color lights!
- Doors, Cabinet Pulls or Handles: these provide accents to the room that really tie elements together while providing a small update in design.
- Painting: you can repaint cabinets, doors or even add an accent wall for a pop of color!
- Decor: adding pictures, potpourri, plants, and other trinkets can fill up unused space!
- Organization: adding baskets, cabinets, shelves and other items can clean up the room and provide a sense of purpose for everything in it.
Can you remodel a bathroom yourself?
There are some areas where you can conduct bathroom remodel changes with relative ease, yet it is essential to rely on a licensed professional for tasks that require you to be certified to carry changes out. It’s important to realize that there are laws out there that limit what you can do as far as home renovations or remodeling, namely with electricity, plumbing or more extensive installations..
Bathroom Remodel Dos and Don’ts
DO Have a Plan or Goal
DO Consider Your Budget
DO Invest in Quality Materials (they’re longer lasting)
DO Have a Design Idea
DON’T Rush (develop a design plan)
DON’T Forget About Ventilation (clean or replace the exhaust fans)
DON’T Forget About Storage (you’ll need a place for towels & toiletries)
DON’T Skimp on Lighting
In what order should I remodel my bathroom?
Here are some recommended steps that can be taken after tearing down what you need to from your older bathroom.
- Replace rotting wood or water damage on the subfloor
- Install windows or skylights
- Make adjustments for new fixtures: move your power outlets or GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupters)
- Install new fixtures, new shower or tub basin
- Add new flooring
- Put up new drywall and cement board (for shower tub walls)
- Start painting, putting up wallpaper or staining
- Install new vanities and cabinets
- Install new toilets
- Install trim around the room and mirrors
There are many ways that a bathroom remodel can spruce up the feel of your home if you have any questions regarding the logistics of setting up or executing changes than it may be best to contact General contracting services for more information. Always remember that safety is of utmost importance with any home update and it’s vital to contact certified technicians for certain tasks!
For assistance with bathroom remodels in Wyoming and Scranton, PA call (570) 266-8208 with Independent Construction!